Communicating and Visualizing Natural Capital
March 20, 2019 - 8:00 am to 9:30 am
Red Dot Air Conditioner Wiring Diagram Abstract: Powerful, engaging and inspiring ways to communicate ecosystem services assessments, and enhance Natural Capital action. Discover how interactive tools, from webmaps to VR enhance the experience and understanding of ecosystem services – and how accessible tools can help gain interest, understanding and empathy, thus leading to better natural capital decisions. Get inspired by low-tech, high-tech, storytelling and art, and learn more about data visualization in this interactive session. Let us honor all our intelligences and senses to listen, look, and understand – not only with our brains!
Moderator: Charlotte Weil, Natural Capital Project, Stanford University
Featured speakers include:
- Nicole Newnham, Awavena – on novel ways of experiencing natural capital, through virtual reality
- Jorge Caballero & Martin Picalla, Cincia (Centro de Innovación Científica Amazónica) – on translating and digitizing collaboratively developed scenarios to InVEST-ready maps: from low-tech to GIS.
- Ahmed Ahres, Sami Ben Hassen, Harshdeep, and David Malmström, Swiss Institute of Technology – on IPBES Viewer (Global Ecosystem Maps, interactively)
- Joanna Lin, Natural Capital Project, Stanford University – on InVEST Habitat Risk Assessment Interactive Dashboard
- Stace Maples & Hannah Wild, Stanford Geospatial Center
- Günes Yurdakul & Cyril van Schreven, Swiss Institute of Technology – on Green Growth That Works: Book Interactive Viewer
- Stephen Standridge, Form is Function
- Anna Muller Queiroz, Stanford University
- Marcelo Guevara, Natural Capital Project, Stanford University
- Katie McCutcheon, Interactive Painter
Approaches and Applications